As a professional decorator for over 20 years, I’m letting you in on a little insider secret: every home needs a few fabulous trays… they are so versatile, besides using them to serve food and drink, they really help your vignettes look nice and they are easier to style than you think.
I love decorating with trays so much, I decided to take a count and realized that I used 5 different trays in 5 areas of my house this month alone!
Here are a few ideas for how to use pretty trays in your home:
1. Tray on the coffee table- add a small arrangement or plant, a couple of candles or a lantern and viola! a pretty centerpiece for your living room or family room. BTW- trays are a great place to “hide” books, magazines or remote controls as well!!
2. Tray as centerpiece on a dining table- Placing a tray on your dining table will simplify your centerpiece- it will give your grouping a nice “contained” space and keep you from “over-decorating” your table with a long, elaborate centerpiece…I love this tray on our kitchen table with rope handles for a beachy/nautical touch.
3. Trays in the kitchen- Technically, this is a wooden bread board, but you get the idea! Kitchen trays are great for holding a small plate of appetizers for a quick snack…add a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses for an welcoming touch. Trays are also great for holding coffee, creamer and sugar along with mugs and stirrers for a nice coffee bar theme. Of all the places to use a tray, the kitchen is the most practical place!
4. Trays in the bedroom- OK, so I love a breakfast tray in bed (though it rarely “appears” on its own! LOL:) How nice would it be to have room service every morning in my own room??? Anyways, breakfast trays are fun to create and so functional for holding coffee and other items on your bed.
5. Trays on the porch- Nothing is nicer to me than enjoying a glass of wine or cold drink and a little snack on the back porch in the evening before dinner. Its a nice way to wind down after a long day and prepare for dinner and a nice night…trays are fabulous for this reason alone!
If you don’t have one- you need to get a tray for your home…and have fun decorating it!