If you have followed my blog for any amount of time, then you probably know by now that I love decorating with white- it’s versatile, matches every color and style decor, it’s classic, it’s fresh, and it’s a beautiful contrast to our new dark floors! But have to tell you that people think I am CRAZY…I have 3 kids and a large dog and a busy life with family and friends…so how do I live with all that white??
Here are my Top 5 Tips for Decorating with White:
1. Use white in low traffic areas- We have fully upholstered white dining chairs in our formal dining room I love them and they are easy to maintain because THEY RARELY GET USED!! I would never have white upholstered chairs at our main kitchen table- they would be very hard to keep clean. White is great for lesser used upholstery items, say in your more formal areas!
2. Use white on non-upholstery items like draperies and walls.- White draperies and walls are pretty easy to maintain, since they are vertical spaces, they get very little use- if you want to add white to your home try white drapery panels or walls. I have found over the years that our hot Florida sun will fade most drapery panels, so for me, the white drapery panels last much longer. When our walls do get a mark or scuff- a little touch up paint will totally erase it!
3. Use white on accent pillows and bed linens- If you go into any high end hotel or resort, you will see white bed linens and towels. Its classic and simple and washes great in warm water with a little bleach! Since bedding and pillow covers are so easy to clean its a fabulous place to use white!
4. Use white on painted furniture or cabinets- If you wax or seal your painted pieces, they are easily cleaned whenever you find a mark! White furniture will brighten any room and has a timeless look.
5. Use white on artwork and accessories- If you are not ready to go for white sofas and chairs, why not try adding some artwork or accessories to your rooms that add a pop of white- for a coastal look, seashells and starfish are fabulous and they are a nice contrast if you have darker tables.
For more tips on living with white, and specifically white slipcovers- click the link below from an older post:
Thanks so much for joining me today!