Truth be told, I think “all-neutrals” might be my favorite look for the cottage…especially for January. It feels clean and open and peaceful, especially after all the festivities of the holiday season! Not to worry, though, the cottage will be filled with a variety of colors over the next few months, but for now I am enjoying my quiet neutrals!
Over the years I have developed a few tips to keep neutral decor from getting boring…here are my top tips for decorating with neutrals:
1. Always use plenty of texture when decorating with neutrals.
Woven baskets, wooden trays, pillows in soft velvet and nubby linen, woven blankets and throws- texture will add interest to a neutral room.
2. Always use lots of layers when decorating with neutrals.
Be sure to layer textiles when decorating with neutrals- consider using a woven throw blanket with a mix of pillows on the sofa or layers of linens on the bed for a soft luxurious look.
3. Always use a variety of tones when decorating with neutrals.
Neutrals are more interesting when you mix them…whites, creams, greys, khakis and black look fabulous when mixed together!
4. Always use fresh flowers and greenery when decorating with neutrals.
Bring your neutral decor to “life” (literally) by mixing in plenty of live plants and fresh flowers.
5. Always use a little sparkle when decorating with neutrals.
Metallic tones, glass and mirrored surfaces look elegant and exciting when mixed with neutrals.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Be sure to read this month’s reader giveaway…