Every Thursday until Christmas, I am featuring tips for a “stress less” holiday season, click HERE to read more. Today we are talking about how to simplify your holiday decorating!
We all know how stressful the holiday season can be. Here are a few tips to help you celebrate the season with style AND less stress…
1. Set aside time- Schedule your holiday decorating like you would any other appointment or event, write it in your planner and allow plenty of time so you are not rushed or stressed.
2. Break it up- If you are short on time, break up your holiday decorating into smaller, easier tasks. Tackle the tree one day, decorate your front porch and yard another day- don’t try to do everything all in one day!
3. Gather tools and supplies- Decorating will go so much faster if you have everything ready that you might need for the job: extension cords, ladders, hooks, hangers, etc… Important reminder: double check all your strands of lights BEFORE you start decorating!
4. Enlist help- Consider asking family and friends to pitch in and help, decorating is more fun and goes much faster when everyone has a “job”! Even the kids love to help, so assign them age-appropriate jobs!
5. Create a few key focal points- Don’t feel like you have to decorate EVERY table or surface in your home, instead choose a few key areas to enhance such as mantles, dining tables, buffets, and the front door. In decorating, less is sometimes more.
6. Keep it simple- Have you ever noticed that simpler is often better when it comes to decorating? A simple wreath with a big beautiful bow can be better than a fussy, ornate wreath. A cluster of pillar candles surrounded by fresh greenery and pinecones is an easy and elegant centerpiece for any dining table.
7. Use what you have- Go through your holiday décor and pull out your favorites (consider tossing anything you haven’t used in a year or two). Freshen up old greenery and wreaths with new ribbons or bows. Always try to use items that have personal meaning or memories!
8. Use pre-made items- If you need to purchase new items, look for pre-decorated or pre-lit items like wreaths and garlands for easier, faster decorating.
9. Use natural accents- Whenever possible, “bring the outdoors in” and use live greenery, plants, and flowers in your decorating to give your home an authentic look- it also will smell great! Here in Florida, I love to mix tropical palm fronds with evergreen branches for a coastal look. Fresh, natural accents are also affordable and easy to find!
10. Be consistent- For a high-end custom look, use colors and items that complement your home’s existing color scheme and style. Ornaments and ribbons are available in every color, so don’t feel like everything has to be red and green! If your house is coastal and mostly blue and white, use holiday décor that will complement your home’s unique style.
Whatever you do, enjoy the process- life is about the journey, not the destination! This year, make a point to enjoy the process of holiday decorating: play upbeat seasonal music, set out yummy treats for all your “helpers”, plan a special holiday “tree trimming” family dinner and decorate the tree together!
I hope these ideas and tips will make decorating your home for the holidays a little less stressful and a little more fun…wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season!
Click HERE to download my entire Stress-Less Holiday Printable Planner, with planning worksheets for holiday decorating, entertaining, gifts/shopping, and making more special memories!