Everyone loves to eat a meal at a beautiful table, but if decorating the table is not your "thing" here are a few tips to keep in mind…
- Always set the table BEFORE you start cooking, so you are not rushed.
- Use what you have- pull out some of your old pretty dishes or glassware for inspiration- then match your table linens or centerpiece to those colors.
- Find inspiration or determine a theme for your meal, ideas include the four seasons, annual events, the food or menu, holidays or special occasions…pull colors and objects from your home that reinforce your theme.
- Use everyday white plates and bowls and everyday glassware, add interest with colorful table linens- tablecloths, napkins, place mats, runners.
- Come up with clever napkin rings or ties.
- Always have a centerpiece or focal point for your table. Some ideas include: flowers, candles, food on platters or serving pieces, bowls of seasonal items like seashells, or pinecones.
- Remember things look better in groups of three…tall (not too tall!), medium and small always look nice, use a decorative tray to display a grouping of items for a centerpiece.
- Add a little sparkle with small votive candle tealights scattered around the table.
- For a special meal, or a weeknight suprise, set out a small gift at everyone's placesetting.
- Mix things up by setting up a dining table somewhere OTHER than your dining room or breakfast room, maybe eat "al fresco" on your front porch, or next to a crackling fire, or at a local park or picnic area!
Wishing you good luck on your next tablesetting- have fun with it!
this post is shared with Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday Party
and Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday