When decorating your home, you want it to be beautiful and personal, but you also want your family and guests to feel welcome and comfortable. A warm and inviting home is filled with beautiful fabrics and furnishings but also appeals to all five senses. Here are a few easy and inexpensive ideas for creating a pleasant “ambiance” in your home…
1. The Sense of Sight-Incorporate your favorite colors, fabrics, furniture, artwork, and accessories in each of your spaces. Be sure your home has a nice flow by repeating your color palette in various ways throughout your home.
2. The Sense of Touch- Have a variety of textures to keep your home’s decor interesting and comfortable- soft blankets and pillows, smooth stone and glass surfaces, warm wood finishes, natural elements, all of these textures look great and feel good to the touch.
3. The Sense of Sound- Invest in a great sound system and keep a variety of music on hand. (I LOVE my Amazon ALEXA Echo speaker.) Nothing creates an ambiance or sets the tone like great music! Don’t save your music for company or parties, fill your home with great sounds every day.
4. The Sense of Smell- Why not create a “signature scent” for your home as you would for yourself? Scented candles are a great decorative accessory, look fabulous when lit, and smell great. Fill your home with lovely smells, such as scented candles, fragrant flowers, potpourri, clean linens, and in the cooler months- don’t forget to open your windows for plenty of fresh air.
5. The Sense of Taste- Whether you love to cook, or love to take-out, nothing says “home” or “welcome” like a great meal. Keep your pantry and fridge full of yummy treats and beverages. Try a big bowl of green apples on your kitchen counter, it looks great AND makes a fast, healthy snack!
Hope these tips help you create more “ambiance” in your home…